St. Paul’s Pie Classic
Some churches have golf tournaments or bingo games, but at St. Paul’s, we have pie. Each November, the many bakers among us compete in the St. Paul’s Pie Classic. There are three categories: Fruit, Cream, and Savory. We like pie, but aren’t pie snobs: a tart, a quiche, or even a cobbler is as welcome as a traditional pie.
A winner is chosen in each category, and one pie is chosen as the winner of the contest. The winner of each category receives a gift card to Starbucks, and the grand prize winner receives a gift certificate to Pryde’s Old Westport. Pies are judged between the services on Sunday morning, winners announced at the 10:30 service, and then the pies are consumed at coffee hour after church. This is always a big Sunday at St. Paul’s, and everyone has a lot of fun and a lot of pie.
- Grand Prize “Best in Show” (2012) Yvonne Jenkins, Chocolate Chess
- Sweet (2012) Jonathan Callison, Apple Pie
- Savory (2012) Daniel Hannes, Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese
- Presentation (2012) Kim Robinson, Brown Butter & Sage Apple Pie
- Junior 1st Prize (2012) Cora Martin, Key Lime Pie
- Grand Prize Winner (2011) Amy Graham, Southwestern Quiche
- Grand Prize Winner (2010) Cora Martin, Key Lime Pie
- Grand Prize Winner (2009) Jennifer Coen, Pear Tart
- Grand Prize Winner (2008) Christy Crossley, Apple Pie
Upcoming: Pie Sunday
May 3, 2015, 10:30 am